Friday, August 13, 2010

Social Security is lifelline when you can no longer work due to disability

It seems to me I hear so called "conservatives"  getting all riled up about wanting to rip apart America's social safety net.     I really pray that they never manage to.     As a multiply-disabled person  I very sadly came to a point where my health did not permit me to continue in my library job.     Fortunately,   I was experienced with the process of applying for Social Security benefits and understood going in that even if they approved me their version of "right away"  it could still easily be a year before I received my first check,  so as soon as I was off the payroll I went to my local DSHS office  and applied for "medically needy"  benefits.    Since my income was zero and I have no real assetts,   they immediately approved me for food stamps.   After my "psych evaluation" interview with the DSHS in house psychologist they stamped my file "bi-polar"   and quickly issued me a medicaid health insurance card which allowed me to get routine health care at a local clinic.    Even though I was on welfare,  I had a primary care provider who saw me every visit and made referrals for my other serious health needs like a hearing evaluation and replacement hearing aid and a diabetic visual exam and new glasses.

In my gut,   when my local welfare office approved me right away on my first application for the small ($329 per month) cash stipend and the medicaid card,  I knew immediately that social security would approve my claim rather quickly for them.    Yesterday I went into my local social security office to bring in some documentation which was required and meet with my case worker.    Who handed me a letter stating that Social Security will begin paying me $1228 per month on the second Wednesday of each month.    First direct deposit will be September 8th.     During the nine months it took Social Security to approve me,  they determined I was entitled to benefits of over $5,000 dollars of which $2,000 some odd will go back to the welfare department and a direct deposit for the balance will post to my bank account within 7--10 days.

I got my first job when I was sixteen years old.   And while there were times that I did not work for one reason or another,   I  clocked more than 20 years of full-time employment and a handful of years of part time work.    And in every single job I've had over the last thirty years I have paid OASDI  (Old Age, Survivors and Diability) and Medicare taxes on every dollar that I ever earned.    Those  taxes which I paid in theory defray the cost of providing for me now that I am unable to work.     Social Security is, imho,  a contract that says if you work hard you have the right to be taken care of when you get old or become unable to work.     Social Security means that we don't leave people to die out in the streets when they are unable to work.     Disabilities can take many different forms.     But  it really comforts me to know that Social Security will allow me to retire with a little dignity and enough money to get by.   

Have you or a family member ever had to go on disability?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, when a job is coming in late, some employers tend to skip these measures because they will surely be fined for running over time. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bags[/url] Give yourself time to rest, do not train the same body part two days in a row. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose[/url] Vmannivar
http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk Vnmtqpzap [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose[/url] xllmljynp

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of reliable product reviews online. vpn windows mobile 2005

Anonymous said...

This is not the case when you compare many of the noninvasive cosmetic training programs. Five, time to stay at airconditioned rooms at most is up to four hours. implementing vpn. The hand on your chest should not move. Easy search gives a pleasure feeling in going through your online store., vpn client for android 2 1. This is to kill any mold and mildew on your wall. vpn for android f5

Anonymous said...

But there is one material that has been shown to be well accepted by the tissues in the jaw so that eventually, it comes to function as a part of body: complete with nerves and blood vessels at its service. vpn client port number

Anonymous said...

Apart from that there is human negligence is seen in our routine life. To accommodate the changes workers need to enhance their communication skills for the betterment of the organization. mac vpn setup. An anonymous sperm donor is perhaps the most common choice and sperm banks are the best resource for it. They would rather get into these kinds of low paying jobs instead of having nothing at all., vpn draytek dyndns. Outsourcing business processes has allowed customer to crossleverage our proficiency and expertise over organization verticals and business technologies to attain better efficiency and standard levels in process of outsourcing. vpn udp 42

Anonymous said...

This has elevated the supply of such parts., vpn router setup dhcp. This has resulted in lender mailing them foreclosure notice causing home owner social embarrassment. Hopefully they can help! vpn hardware needed. This is more than just a passing trend as more and more consumers discover the myriad of benefits associated with these items. ipsec security association

Anonymous said...

Doctors make use of terms such as predominantly motor neuropathy or predominantly sensory neuropathy to express the patient's state. vpn 64 bit ipsec cisco

Anonymous said...

This allows for a lower absorption bulk that comes at a price. This means that smoking can affect a person’s social life with other people., network security scanner linux. With that time element, more and more people should be encouraged to buy your products, especially when you are giving it for a great price. remote access to mac from pc

Anonymous said...

Faced with increasing incidences of terrorism, there was need for the government to come up with new policies to curb terrorism. private job agency

Anonymous said...

How would you like to be told that you have to submit your intentions to paint your house and they have the right to approve or disapprove the color or nature or anything else about it? syncronize time server

Anonymous said...

Reforms are quite essential in developing international cooperation development in accordance to its technical assistance. sshd config protocol 2. You can even chat with the support staff online, in cased you need any help on how to book or any other related information. 2003 l2tp

Anonymous said...

Summative assessments, on the other hand aim to test the conceptual understanding of students through fulllength conventional tests. Positive reinforcements are awful recommended if training your puppy the basal abilities like sit, cycle over, and lie down., private line services com. They are trying hard and fast to fulfill their all demands. private island beach resort