Monday, November 5, 2012

So Whaddayathink?

When I started this blog,  I certainly didn't see it as a place to write responses to Washington Post columnists.    And yet here I am again.   The Washington Post is the national newspaper I read every day.   I especially like the fact that it is free on the web.   I've written before about moving on from The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times after these newspapers set up paywalls.     I was pleased last week when the New York Times temporarily disabled their paywall to provide free coverage of superstorm Sandy.   And I do occasionally read an occasional piece from the New York Times when the URL is tweeted or linked in a blog post,  either of which seem to bypass the paywall.

I almost spewed coffee on my screen this morning when I read Ed Rogers histrionic diatribe detailing his impending 'brain explosion'  due to the fact that it seems as though President Obama may be re-elected,  despite all of the various 'political dynamics'  which Rogers claim all favor McLame err Romney.    The facts that Rogers cites are in fact real  (the 2010 Republican sweep,  high unemployment) and yet readings his rant,  I find myself wondering if Rogers has been watching some campaign other than the one I have been seeing.     That Romney callously dismisses almost half of all Americans  (the forty-seven percent) was to me the most amazing public comment of the election season.

And despite whatever Mr. Rogers may think,  I assure you at least some of us in that forty-seven percent do vote.   (Our ballots have been turned in for more than a week and in this household we are most anxious for the election to be Over.)   Rogers does end his piece by proclaiming that nothing has been decided and this election is still very much up in the air.   I don't disagree with that.    And if you are a registered voter and you haven't cast your vote yet,  do it today or tomorrow.   Because come Tuesday night,   your opportunity will have passed.    No matter where you live there are almost certainly local, state and national races where you vote may count for a lot,  even in you are not a 'swing voter'  in a 'swing state',   the only voters the Presidential campaigns and all of their press junkies are slavering over.       No excuses.   Go vote.

No comments: